July 05, 2011
July 27, 2012
February 14, 2012
Since the introduction of the Terracotta toolkit the README.html in the distribution has been incorrect.
To get integration with Terracotta going you actually need to follow these new instructions:
Maven Based Development =======================
Most Ehcache modules are placed in the central Maven repository. The Maven snippet for ehcache is: <dependency> <groupid>net.sf.ehcache</groupid> <artifactid>ehcache</artifactid> <version>[current-version]</version> <type>pom</type> </dependency> To deploy to a Terracotta server you also need to add the following: <dependency> <groupId>org.terracotta</groupId> <artifactId>terracotta-toolkit-1.2-runtime</artifactId> <version>3.1.0</version> </dependency> <repositories> <repository> <id>terracotta-repository</id> <url>http://www.terracotta.org/download/reflector/releases</url> <releases> <enabled>true</enabled> </releases> </repository> </repositories> Then create an ehcache.xml configuration from the one supplied in the distribution and place it in the root of your classpath.
We used to be able to specify just ehcache and it would suck everything else in. Users would need to specify ehcache-core to avoid that.
Not any more. Now you get: “Please verify that terracotta-toolkit is in your classpath”
The terracotta-toolkit is not sucked in.
I then googled to try to find what the snippet for it was. I found one that did not work over in the terracotta.org docs. Then I googled again and found out how to do it from this forum post: http://forums.terracotta.org/forums/posts/list/5382.page where someone else was having the same problem.
What exacerbates this is that our Maven repo is not browsable. So it is impossible to discover the maven coordinates from the Maven repo. Nice! I have found a way to fix this and have created a separate JIRA for it.
So we have a very difficult situation. I almost gave up trying to get this going yesterday afternoon. I think this is hurting us a lot.
Move the terracotta-toolkit into oss.sonatype and thence Maven central. It is TPL so there should be no more of a licensing problem than we had with ehcache-terracotta before it. The add terracotta-toolkit as an ehcache dependency.
That way it just works.
Fix the README.HTML ( I have already done this in trunk) so at least it works. Fix http://www.terracotta.org/documentation/toolkit-intro.html